Sunday, February 26, 2012

And the winner is....

I couldn't wait until today to share my thoughts about an article that I posted last night on Sister Circle facebook page titled Maid and Mammie: I'll grin and bear it, a blog post written by Cheryl Lee Ralph. As I read the article I thought to myself finally someone who shares the same sentiment as me :/. I have so much to say about this topic that I can't type fast enough. Anything that I say from here is purely for my own release and not intended to do anything much more than that and as always feel free to comment. :-)

By now most of us have seen the movie The Help right? I read the book and went to the theater to see the movie. I have to say that movie stirred many emotions insided of me; some for obvious reasons. I have strong personal feelings about racism, it bothers me. I also have a strong value for justice and equality for all. The movie made me laugh and cry at the same time.

Why were the endings different. On screen you didn't see that Aibileen was actually hired by the newspaper to continue writing the article once skeeter moved on. I wonder why that wasn't portrayed on the big screen, maybe it didn't really matter. Instead it was highlighted that the maids were sent royalites from the well recieved book. Was it was even money the maids were after? Was it payday for them? They recieved a stipend and skeeter received exposure & opened doors of opportunity. Isn't that how its usually played out, the blacks are rescued by the whites.

Pardon me...I wont get that conversation started that's a whole nutha blog :-)

My wonder is this: Is being an Oscar winner at any cost recognizd as a dream come true? Is it every persons dream to be recognized by the industry of their craft by any means necessary? Are the women who are nominated being recognized becasue of their supurb acting abilities, or for their ability to play a maid or because of the story line? Whose story is it really anyway?

Those are my thoughts, what are yours?




No comments:

Post a Comment